Adjustments to DAS Operations During COVID-19:
We have altered both field and shelter operations to minimize human contact for residents while remaining committed to both public safety and lifesaving.
DAS Animal Services Officers will continue to respond to urgent, high-priority calls including sick or injured animals and animals that threaten public safety. Calls for services should still be placed with 311.
In compliance with the County of Dallas' COVID-19 "shelter at home" order, the only non-staff currently permitted to enter the building will be individuals who believe DAS has lost their pet. Adoption and foster appointments will be done by appointment only with curbside pet pick-ups (see below for more details).
DAS is asking that all owners interested in surrendering their pet first make an intake appointment. More information about surrendering a pet can be found by clicking here. DAS is not taking in healthy community cats at this time; any kittens with a mother should be monitored until 8 weeks of age rather than brought to the shelter. For more information regarding nursing or orphaned kittens, please click here. All vaccination clinics, trainings, and adoption events have been canceled for the remainder of June.
Our PetSmart Everyday Adoption Center currently does not have any animals. All foster and adoption pick-ups will happen at our main location (1818 N Westmoreland Rd.)
Only pre-scheduled, approved volunteers are permitted inside the shelter at this time.
FIX IT TICKET UPDATE:
Courts are now accepting online and in-person compliance dismissal request for our "Fix It Tickets." This includes Criminal and Civil Citations for the following offenses:
- 7-4.1 (a)(1) Fails to vaccinate cat or dog for rabies
- 7-4.2 (a) Fails to microchip cat or dog
- 7-4.10 (a) Dog/Cat not spayed/neutered and is over the age of six months
A compliance dismissal allows the animal owner to submit the proof of compliance directly to the court and bypass going in front of the judge. The owner can visit the municipal court in person to submit their compliance documents, or they can go to their homepage at http://courts.dallascityhall.com (and then click "Resolve Your Ticket" on the left-hand side of the screen).
How Can You Help #SaveLivesWhileSocialDistancing?
Photo courtesy of Dallas Morning News (Juan Figueroa / Staff Photographer)
Even as COVID-19 continues to develop, DAS remains committed to saving lives. Here's how you can help:
- ADOPTING. We will now be doing adoptions ONLINE only! Click here for more information and to view adoptable pets. Pre-scheduled pet pick-ups will only take place at our main shelter (1818 N Westmoreland Rd.) and will be arranged during your tele-adoption call after you apply for a pet online.
We currently do not have any pets at our PetSmart Everyday Adoption Center and the main shelter is NOT open to potential adopters at this time.
All adoptions will be FREE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Make sure to follow us on Facebook for daily videos of adoptable pets and you can also view photos of adoptable pets before you schedule a call by clicking here. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about a particular pet or this new process.
- FOSTERING. You can become a foster online! Our application and video orientation can both be completed from the comfort of your own home. After you apply, you'll receive an email with the next steps which include watching our foster orientation video and completing a brief quiz, reading through our foster handbook, and scheduling a time to discuss available pets with our foster team over the phone. They will answer any questions you have and help you pick out a foster pet that works for you.
Appointments for curbside pick-up of your foster pet will be made during your phone call! We also recommend viewing our dashboard of pets currently available for foster by clicking here. The available foster list is updated daily, but animals that are on this list might have already found their furrever or foster home today! Foster supplies will be provided (while available). Please note: at this time, our biggest foster needs are for large adult dogs. Click here for more information on fostering, to watch our video orientation, and to read our foster guidelines.
- MAKING A DONATION. To make a donation of our most needed supplies, please visit our Amazon Shelter Wishlist by clicking here. To make a monetary donation online, please visit friendsofdas.org.
- FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE OUR STORY. Dallas Animal Services is very active on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! Make sure to follow us and share our work with your friends and family. If you're in the Dallas area, we are also very active on Nextdoor.