If you've been wondering how you can get more involved with Dallas Animal Services, consider becoming a lifesaving Foster Parent. Foster Parents are essential to our D90 initiative, and we try to make the process of joining us as easy as possible. On this page, you will see our Foster Handbook, which should answer any immediate questions that you have about becoming a Foster.
A Foster Home is a temporary living arrangement for pets in our Foster Program through placement with individuals, Foster Parents, in the community of Dallas. As a Foster Parent with DAS, you are a volunteer and part of a life-saving mission to help prevent animal homelessness and overpopulation. Whether you can commit to a short or long term opportunity, we have a variety of ways to get involved that can fit your needs.
In order to be a Foster with Dallas Animal Services, we have a few guidelines we expect you to follow:
- Abide by policies and procedures that are outlined in the
DAS Foster Handbook and Foster Care Form
- Maintain regular access to email and/or phone and provide updates to contact information when necessary
- Ability to provide transport to and from DAS when necessary for an animal in your care
- Provide a clean, safe and caring environment with food, water, enrichment, and proper shelter
- Appropriately socialize with foster pets and treat them like a household pet while they are in your care
- Monitor and communicate any medical and/or behavioral issues
- Follow guidelines and policies for adoption outlined in our Foster Handbook
- Have up-to-date rabies and age-appropriate vaccinations for all pets in your home
If you're interested in becoming a DAS Foster:
1. Please read through our Foster Handbook for more information
2. Make a quick profile with our volunteer system and fill out our foster application.
3. Once you complete your application, you'll receive an email with instructions for next steps which include watching the new Foster Orientation Video online and making an appointment to speak about available foster pets! (PLEASE NOTE: in compliance with the County of Dallas' COVID-19 "Shelter at Home" order, fosters will not be permitted to enter the shelter at this time until further notice. Once you fill out your foster application and watch the orientation video, you'll make an appointment to speak to a member of our foster team over the phone and schedule a time for a "Curbside pick-up" of your foster pet.)
4. Before making an appointment, we recommend viewing our dashboard of pets currently available for foster by clicking here. Note: this foster list is updated daily, but animals that are on this list might have already found their furrever or foster home today!
The DAS Foster Team will work to pair you with your PURRFECT foster animal(s)!
DASFoster@dallascityhall.com if you have any questions.