Dallas90 is a community outreach campaign by Dallas Animal Services designed to engage the community in our lifesaving vision. As the third-largest dog and cat intake shelter in the country (we take in approximately 40,000 pets annually), DAS believes we can be the largest shelter in the nation with a sustainable live release rate of above 90%.
Lead the nation in compassionate care of animals while finding positive outcomes for all placeable pets through innovative shelter operations and community engagement.
Dallas90 is a community outreach campaign designed to generate support of and participation in DAS' effort to find positive outcomes for all healthy and behaviorally sound pets, which we believe exceeds 90% of our shelter population.
For the first time in our organization's history, DAS exceeded a 90% live release rate (number of animals leaving the shelter with a live outcome) in December 2018. This was achieved while also bringing in a record number of loose dogs from the community. However, this live release rate is not yet sustainable; we need the help of our community to continue to save as many lives as possible.
How You Can Help
1. Adopt: We expect to take in 40,000 pets in 2019, the majority of which will need a new, loving home. Save a life by adopting a new family member from DAS.
2. Volunteer: Our volunteers help us provide enrichment, exercise, training, socialization, and care to our animals; help customers in our adoption areas and during offsite events; assist in marketing animals in need; and work to educate members of our community about responsible pet ownership and resources available to assist pets and pet owners in need.
3. Foster: Many of the animals in our care are in need of a temporary home outside of the shelter where they can heal from surgery or illness, grow big enough to be adopted, or take a break from the stress of the shelter. Our fosters save the lives of the most vulnerable animals in our population.
4. Donate: We are always in need of supplies and funding in order to save more animals and improve the quality of life of the animals in our care.
5. Advocate: Spread the word about the City of Dallas' animal ordinances, responsible pet ownership, adoption, volunteering, and fostering to help us connect with even more North Texans. We also need residents to report animal cruelty and loose pets to help our Animal Service Officers locate pets in need of assistance.