Office of the City Secretary
Dallas Municipal Archives
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
|Creator||City of Dallas|
|Title||Department of Aviation Policies|
|Quantity||3/4 linear inch|
|Abstract||Printed and photocopied materials.|
|Language||Records are in English|
Scope and Content
Collection documents policies and policy study within the City of Dallas Department of Aviation in 1979 and 1986. The City of Dallas operates two airports, Love Field and Dallas Executive Airport, formerly known as Red Bird Airport, and one heliport, which is located at the Dallas Convention Center.
Love Field was developed by private business entities and the first flights began in January 1917. On October 19, 1917, Love Field was leased to the United States Army as an air training base. After World War I, the airfield was again used for commercial business.
In 1927, the City purchased 167.10 acres of land at a price of $325,000, and passenger service began. Love became an Army field again in 1942 and served during World War II as headquarters for the United States Air Transport Command. The facilities were greatly expanded in 1948, 1952, and 1955, and by 1964 Love Field was the largest air terminal in the Southwest. Due to the establishment of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in 1974 and the subsequent Wright Amendment, passenger service was limited to Southwest Airlines and small charter services up to 2014, when restrictions were relaxed and ultimately repealed.
The airport covers 1,300 acres of land, and in 2003, was designated as a Texas State Historical site.
Redbird Airport was created in 1944 from 1026 acres purchased by the City of Dallas to serve the general aviation needs in southwest Dallas, including leased City-owned property for aviation commercial and/or industrial purposes.
The City of Dallas changed the name of Redbird Airport to Dallas Executive Airport on February 27, 2002, becoming effective May 1. The airport's name was changed to better market the airport and its amenities to corporate and private travelers.
The Dallas Heliport began as a leased venture in 1976 and is operated by the City. This public-use, elevated Heliport/Vertiport is located in the Central Business District on the south end of the Dallas Convention Center. The facility has a dual deck and can accommodate three helicopters plus two vertical- and landing-take-off aircraft at the same time. The facility has approximately 169,000 square feet of flight deck.
The collection consists of two items, a public property policy document issued in 1979 and a fees and rental charges study made for Dallas Love Field and Redbird Airport in 1986.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Department of Aviation Policies, 1979, 1986 (Box <x>, Folder <y>), Dallas Municipal Archives
Airports -- Texas -- Dallas -- Planning
Dallas (Tex.). Dept. of Aviation
|1||1||Department of Aviation, Statement of Management Policies for Public Property, 1979|
| ||2||Department of Aviation Rates, Fees and Rental Charges Study for Dallas Love Field and Redbird Airport, Deloitte, Haskins and Sells, 1986|