Dallas Municipal Archives|
Office of the City Secretary
1500 Marilla Street, 5D South
Dallas, Texas 75201
Title||Pauper's Cemetery and the Henninger-Brewer Company|
½ linear inch|
Records are in English|
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a contract made between the City of Dallas and the Henninger-Brewer Company on May 8, 1914. The contract dictated that the Henninger-Brewer Undertaking Company was to be given charge of the Pauper's Cemetery. The requirements for the cemetery's management included, but were not limited to, proper care of each body, record-keeping procedures, and minimum standards for gravesite maintenance. The Pauper's Cemetery ceased to be an active burial ground in 1978, when responsibility of the burials was transferred from the County of Dallas to the City of Dallas. Located in Northwest Dallas on Shady Trail between Harry Hines Boulevard and US Interstate 35, the Pauper's Cemetery is now called the Dallas City Cemetery.
Henninger-Brewer Company also agreed to the use of its Automobile Ambulance and two experienced attendants for emergencies when the City Ambulance was unavailable. The ambulance provided by Henninger-Brewer became Dallas' first motorized ambulance. Henninger-Brewer was later called the George A Brewer Funeral Home, and in 1967, it was merged into the Sparkman Hillcrest Funeral Home.
Collection is one folder.
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from the Dallas Municipal Archives. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Pauper's Cemetery and the Henninger-Brewer Company, 1914
Collection 1995-023—Dallas Department of Park and Recreation General Subject Files, 1911-1960
Collection 2019-010—Frances James Cemetery Files Collection
Collection 2005-005—Public Works Survey Division Cemetery Files, 1887-2005
Dallas -- Texas -- History
1||1||Pauper's Cemetery Contract|